Were You Hurt In A Farming Accident In Mississippi?
The farming industry and agricultural workers are a crucial part of our economy. The crops they produce are necessary to sustain our society. The work put into farming is some of the most physically challenging work a person can do. Unfortunately, farming and agriculture are also some of the most dangerous industries to work in. According to the CDC, around 100 agricultural workers are injured daily.
Due to the nature of the work and the heavy machinery and equipment farmhands use, farm-related accidents are quite common. The injuries that farmworkers sustain can vary depending on the task or activity, but when heavy equipment is involved, the resulting injuries are often severe.
No matter how the accident happens or how severe the resulting injury is, it’s crucial for injured agricultural workers to seek help from an experienced Mississippi personal injury attorney. Determining fault in a farming accident can sometimes be tricky. Working with an attorney who understands the ins and outs of farm accidents and injuries can help ensure you get the compensation you need.
The Dangers of Mississippi Farm-Related Accidents
Agricultural workers put their bodies through a lot physically on a daily basis, and over time, this type of work can take a toll on your health. Additionally, the dangerous tools and equipment that farmworkers use can easily lead to injury.
Farm accidents can result in a number of injuries, including:
- Repetitive motion injuries such as back injuries and carpal tunnel syndrome
- Slip and fall injuries
- Tractor injuries
- Other vehicle-related injuries
- Injuries from the use of heavy machinery and other equipment
- Exposure to toxic chemicals
- Livestock injuries
Steps You Should Take Following a Farming Accident
If you are injured in a farming accident, there are steps you should take no matter how the incident occurred:
- Seek immediate medical care: Your health and safety are the first priority. No matter how minor the injury is, it’s important that you get checked out by a doctor. Having proof of the injury is also vital to filing a claim or pursuing a lawsuit. If you fail to seek medical attention, insurers may claim that the injury was not severe enough to substantiate the claim.
- Report the incident and the injury: Following the accident, you should report what happened to your employer as soon as possible. This is especially important if the injury was a result of faulty equipment. You would not want others to use the same equipment and get hurt themselves. Additionally, having a report of what happened will help prove fault when you work with an attorney to seek compensation.
- Gather evidence: If the injury is severe and life-threatening, sticking around to collect evidence may not be possible. However, if the injury allows, take photos of the scene and the injury right after it happens. It’s also helpful to collect witness statements and contact information if you can. These are all vital to building a strong case.
- Consult with a Mississippi personal injury attorney: Trying to manage a personal injury claim after sustaining an injury can add unnecessary stress to the situation. An experienced attorney can help guide you through the process and ensure that all necessary paperwork and evidence is gathered to build your case.
Know Your Rights as a Mississippi Farmhand or Agricultural Worker
In the state of Mississippi, employers do not have to provide workers’ compensation benefits to farmhands and agricultural workers. They may choose to provide these benefits independently, but they are not required to by law. Because of this, it can be difficult for injured farmworkers to get the compensation they need to cover the cost of such things as lost wages and medical expenses.
Working with an experienced Mississippi attorney in these cases is crucial to building a strong case. Proving fault often requires meticulous inspection of the individual case and collecting as much information and evidence as possible, all of which may be difficult to do on your own after sustaining an injury.
Connect with an Experienced Mississippi Personal Injury Attorney
If you’ve been injured in a farming accident, the team at Lunsford, Baskin, and Priebe, PLLC can help. Our attorneys have years of experience dealing with personal injury cases, including those involving farm-related accidents. We are determined to help injured farmhands and agricultural workers get the compensation that they need and deserve.