Mississippi Workplace Slip & Fall Lawyer
Nobody expects to be injured in a slip, trip, or fall accident. Yet these types of accidents occur in many different places in Mississippi, from office workplaces and construction sites to neighborhood restaurants and retail stores. When a slip and fall happens on the job, it may be possible to file a Mississippi workers’ compensation claim in order to seek compensation for your medical bills and your lost wages. If a slip, trip, or fall occurs elsewhere, you may be able to file a claim against the owner of the premises or the party responsible for maintaining the property. An attorney can assess your case and provide you with more information. Contact our experienced Mississippi workplace slip & fall lawyer today.
Getting the Facts About Mississippi Slips and Falls
The following are key facts about slips and falls from the National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI):
- Falls account for about 5 percent of job fatalities among women and about 11 percent of job fatalities among men;
- Every year, falls result in about 8 million emergency department visits, and approximately 1 million of those visits are for slips and falls alone;
- About 5 percent of all people who slip and fall suffer bone fracture injuries;
- Slips and falls are currently the most common reason for workers’ compensation claims and missed workdays among employees aged 55 and over; and
- Flooring materials are responsible for as many as 2 million falls every year.
Slip and Fall Causes in Mississippi
What causes most slips and falls in Mississippi workplaces and other locations? There are many causes of slips, trips, and falls that can result in serious and debilitating injuries. The following are some of the most common causes of slips, trips, and falls:
- Liquid spills on the flooring, which may be anything from pooling rainwater to a spilled drink or liquid food;
- Damaged or torn carpeting that results in a trip and fall;
- Objects in a walkway or walking path, such as stacked boxes or an extension cord that poses a tripping hazard;
- Uneven floors;
- Lack of a handrail or a broken handrail in a stairway; and
- Poor or broken lighting.
Common Injuries in Slips and Falls in Mississippi
Slips and falls can result in many different types of injuries, and they can range widely in terms of severity. Common types of injuries that people sustain in slips, trips, and falls include but are not limited to the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs);
- Neck injuries;
- Back injuries;
- Shoulder injuries;
- Spinal cord injuries (SCIs);
- Bone fractures;
- Contusions; and
- Cuts or lacerations.
The severity of a slip and fall can depend upon many factors, including how and where the slip and fall accident occurred, and the age and health of the person who slipped and fell. As the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) emphasizes, older adults can be much more likely to suffer a permanently debilitating injury in a slip and fall such as a hip fracture, and for older adults, slips and falls can have longer term and lasting consequences.
Contact Lunsford Baskin & Prieve, PLLC Today
Whether a slip and fall occurs on the job, in a retail store or restaurant, or in the home of a friend or family member, it is important to speak with an attorney to find out more about your ability to seek compensation. Contact our experienced Mississippi work slip & fall lawyer today.