Mississippi Truck Accident Lawyer
Accidents involving large trucks and passenger vehicles usually result in serious injuries or worse. If you or a loved one was injured in an accident involving a truck, you need an experienced Mississippi truck accident lawyer who can protect your interests. At Lunsford, Baskin & Priebe, PLLC, we understand what a traumatic time this is for you and your family. Let us help you hold the driver and trucking company liable and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Most Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Mississippi
Accidents can happen due to numerous reasons. In some situations, multiple factors contributed to the accident, and more than one party could be liable for your injuries. Some of the most common causes of truck accidents in Mississippi are:
- Distracted driving—Driver is texting, checking the GPS, looking for something in the vehicle, eating or drinking, etc.;
- Recklessness—Some truck drivers who are in a hurry may be driving recklessly or speeding;
- Driving Under the Influence—Some drivers drink while on the road or take illicit drugs; it can also extend to any medication that impairs their ability to drive;
- Driving while Fatigued—Some truck drivers exceed the federal limits on how many hours they can drive per day and become fatigued and fall asleep while behind the wheel;
- Improper Loading or Overloaded—Heavy cargo is a significant contributor to the danger of large truck accidents, especially if a trailer was overloaded or not correctly loaded and secured;
- Negligent Maintenance—Truck drivers are expected to undergo safety and maintenance checks before getting on the road; failure to do so could result in an accident; and
- Negligent Hiring Practices—Trucking companies can be held liable for hiring inexperienced drivers or not requiring they have the necessary qualifications to operate an 18-wheeler truck.
Common Injuries in Mississippi Truck Accidents
Given that 18-wheeler commercial trucks can weigh up to 80,000 pounds, it should come as no surprise that accidents can result in catastrophic injuries or death. Some of the most common injuries we see in large truck accidents include:
- Neck and back injuries;
- Traumatic brain injuries;
- Other head injuries;
- Contusions, lacerations, and bruises;
- Rib and torso injuries;
- Burn injuries;
- Spinal cord injuries; and
- Crushed or amputated limb.
In 2018, 4,126 people died due to injuries sustained in a truck accident. According to statistics from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), 96% of fatalities are occupants of the passenger vehicle. You want to retain an attorney who has experience handling serious injury collisions involving large trucks.
Why Hire a Mississippi Truck Accident Lawyer?
If you are injured in a serious accident involving a large commercial truck, hiring an attorney can help you in many ways. Your attorney will conduct an independent investigation and help you gather the necessary evidence to prove liability against the truck driver and trucking company.
Trucking companies are notorious for denying liability, which will force you into litigation if you continue with your case. We are familiar with all the tactics insurance and trucking companies use to reduce your claim’s value or deny it altogether. We will be there to protect your rights and help you fight for the compensation you deserve.
To learn more about how we can help you with a Mississippi truck accident claim, contact Lunsford, Baskin & Priebe, PLLC, to schedule an initial consultation.