Mississippi Forklift & Crane Accident Lawyer
Work in the construction industry and in related fields can place workers at serious risk of injury in a forklift or crane accident. The National Safety Council (NSC) explains that forklifts are a common type of heavy machinery that are “used for carrying and transporting heavy materials in primarily non-roadway areas,” and that the term forklift is often used to include order pickers and powered platform trucks. Cranes, likewise, are designed for transporting heavy loads and playing important roles on construction sites. Yet injuries involving forklifts and cranes occur in a variety of ways, including struck-by or caught-in accidents in which a worker is hit by a crane or forklift, struck-by injuries in which a worker is struck by a falling object that the forklift or crane was transporting, or tip-over accidents where the forklift or crane falls on a worker and traps them beneath. Contact our experienced Mississippi forklift & crane accident lawyer today if you were injured in a forklift or crane accident and need help seeking compensation.
Getting the Facts About Mississippi Forklift or Crane Accidents
Forklift and crane accidents happen much more often than they should since these accidents and injuries are always preventable with proper safety protocols and procedures. What do you need to know about forklift and crane accidents on worksites? The following facts and figures come from the NSC:
- Nearly 7,300 forklift incidents occurred in 2020, resulting in an average of 17 missed workdays for injured workers;
- Transportation accidents involving forklifts and cranes are the most common cause of forklift and crane injuries, accounting for more than 50 percent of these accidents;
- Struck-by injuries involving cranes and forklifts account for about 15 percent of reported forklift and crane accidents;
- Electrocution and electrical shock injuries are common in crane accidents involving run-ins with power lines;
- Struck-against injuries account for about 8 percent of forklift and crane injuries; and
- Transportation, warehousing, and manufacturing are the industries in which forklift and crane accidents occur most often, followed by jobs in wholesale and retail trade, and construction.
The NSC emphasizes that proper training, and appropriate safety protocols in workplaces, are necessary to prevent serious and deadly forklift and crane accidents.
Common Injuries in Forklift and Crane Accidents in Mississippi
What are the most common types of injuries that occur in forklift and crane accidents? The NSC identifies the following:
- Bone fracture;
- Soreness or pain;
- Sprains and strains;
- Muscle tears;
- Cuts and lacerations;
- Amputations; and
- Electrical shock injuries.
When a forklift or crane accident occurs in a Mississippi workplace, it may be possible to seek financial compensation for your losses. The most common method for seeking compensation involves filing a Mississippi workers’ compensation claim. An experienced injury attorney in Mississippi can evaluate your case and discuss your options for seeking coverage for medical care and wage replacement benefits.
Contact Lunsford Baskin & Prieve, PLLC Today
Any worker who has sustained an injury in a forklift or crane accident should seek advice from an attorney about seeking compensation. Contact our experienced Mississippi forklift & crane accident lawyer to learn more.